Steelworkers to strike over Tata’s plans to cut 2,800 jobs in south Wales

About 1,500 Tata workers at two south Wales steelworks are to begin strike action next month in protest at the company’s plans to cut nearly 3,000 jobs and close its blast furnaces. Union leaders are preparing to intensify industrial action, in a further escalation of a row over the 2,800 planned job cuts at the sites that has become a general election issue. Labour has called for Tata to halt its plans and wait until after the 4 July election to engage in talks with the government, saying there is a “better deal to do”. The workers based in Port Talbot and Llanwern who are members of the Unite union will begin all-out indefinite strike action on 8 July, the union announced on Friday. It is the first time in more than 40 years that steelworkers in the UK are taking strike action, it said, adding that it would severely affect Tata’s UK operations. Unite said previously it decided to strike after Tata threatened to cut redundancy pay as a response to members voting for an overtime ban. On Tuesday the workers then began the overtime ban and started working to rule, where staff do no more than the minimum...

Read more